Nov 8, 2013

Fried Green Tomatoes

Ever since I was young, I can remember my Grandma Lois making fried green tomatoes.  When I was quite young, I was told teasingly, "fried green tomatoes for grown-ups!"  Of course, this only made me want to eat them more!  Whenever I did get to eat fried green tomatoes, I loved them.  Now, I get to make them for my husband. 


The star of the show - the green tomato.




I use my mandolin to get nice, even, and thin slices of the green tomato.  I know some people slice their tomatoes thicker, but I tend to like thinner slices of tomato.  If you want them thicker, feel free!




Dip each slice in flour, eggs and cracker crumbs, and fry in butter until golden brown.




Fried and ready to eat!




Delicious!



  • 1 or 2 green tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
  • 1 cup crushed saltine crackers
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • sprinkle of salt and pepper
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1/4-1/2 cup butter
In a small bowl, stir together the flour, salt and pepper.  Place the crushed saltine crackers in another bowl, and the beaten eggs mixed with the milk in a third bowl.  Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.  Dip each tomato slice in the egg to coat, then in the flour mixture.  Dip the floured tomato slice back into the egg, and then into the cracker crumbs. Place the coated tomato slices in the hot skillet, and fry until golden brown on each side, about 3 to 5 minutes per side.  Add more butter to the pan, if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment