Jan 12, 2014

Sunday Morning Banana Waffles

This morning, we woke up and decided that waffles sounded like a great breakfast.  As I quickly got the waffles going, I noticed that the bananas sitting on the counter were at a perfect ripeness to eat.  Hmmm, I mused, I wonder if I could combine the bananas and waffles for a great breakfast?

About twenty minutes later, as I sat down to my delicious, crispy waffle topped with sliced bananas, a tiny drizzle of caramel, toasted pecans and a dash of maple syrup, I decided that yes, the waffles and bananas did make a great breakfast. 





Sunday Morning Banana Waffles


  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 1/3 cup cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons sugar (or honey)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 small or 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 to 2 bananas, sliced thinly
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
  • 2 tablespoons caramel sauce
  • maple syrup

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add milk, oil, eggs and vanilla.  Whisk together until combined (try not to mix too much - a few lumps are ok).  If possible, let the batter rest on the counter for a half an hour to an hour (or more is fine - I think this makes a more tender finished product).  If you and your family are hungry and ready to eat (10 minutes ago), get your waffle iron heating according to the manufacturers instructions - the batter will be fine and doesn't have to rest.  Cook waffles - you should get about 4.

Top hot waffles with sliced bananas, a drizzle of caramel sauce, chopped pecans and maple syrup.  I also think a little pile of whipped cream would be delicious, but I didn't have any.  If you try the waffles with whipped cream, let me know how it is!  Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment