Sep 6, 2013

"Slick Grease"

My mom has baked cakes for people ever since I can remember, and she has this one great cake supply store she has gone to for at least 20 years.  One of the things she always used to buy was something they called "slick grease."  It was really slick - just brush it in the cake pan and done - no flour or shortening mess to deal with. 

When I was a teenager, I happened across a recipe for homemade slick grease - and we've been using it ever since!  Cheap, easy and so handy to have around. 

Slick Grease


Equal parts of:
  • Shortening
  • Vegetable oil
  • Flour
I usually make this in 1/2 cup increments: so, 1/2 cup each of flour, oil and shortening.  Then, I use my hand mixer to mix very well.  Then, put it in a Tupperware and store it in the refrigerator indefinitely.  Then, when I need to grease a cake pan or muffin tins or a loaf pan or any baking dish ... (ok, you get the idea!) I just take a pastry brush and brush a nice layer into the pan.  Ready to fill with a delicious batter or dough!


No comments:

Post a Comment