Apr 10, 2014

Dutch Baby

Ever since I was a kid, we have made these Dutch Babies.  I believe the recipe originally came from my grandma?  I will have to ask her. 

'Dutch Baby' is really nothing more than a puffed pancake, and I know there are many ways to make puffed pancakes.  I'd like to share with you this recipe.  Let me know what you think!






To cut the Dutch Baby, I always remove it to a cutting board a) because I don't want to mess around with the very-hot cast iron pan and b) because the pan is so hot, I don't want the crusts to get overdone.






Hey!  Who is taking off with the Dutch Baby?!  (I guess it is time for breakfast, haha)




I love fruit syrups on my Dutch Baby, but top it with whatever suits your fancy!





I just wanted to share this picture of another Dutch Baby I made - it got epically high!  The Dutch Baby in the above pictures didn't get as high because I ran out of eggs....







 

Dutch Baby

 

  • 6 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • Toppings of choice: syrups, fresh fruit, whipped cream, powdered sugar, ect...

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  Place 10 to 12 inch cast iron pan in oven with the 1/4 cup butter.  Let it melt while you are making the batter.

For batter, blend eggs in blender one minute.  Add milk, salt, vanilla and sugar and blend for 30 seconds.  Add flour and blend one minute more.  Pour over melted butter, and return to oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until pancake is fluffy and high. 

Remove from oven - being careful as the cast iron pan is very hot - and serve immediately with your choice of toppings.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment