Apr 13, 2014

German Chocolate Cake Cookies

The other day I wanted to make a batch of cookies, but I didn't know what kind to make.  So I asked Charlie what kind of cookies he was in the mood for.  He didn't really have anything in mind either.

Where to find inspiration??  I grabbed my Taste of Home cookie cookbook.  As I was paging through the book, Charlie randomly suggested to make the cookies on page 38, in the top left corner (such a fun idea!).

I hurriedly turned to the correct page, and found a recipe for German Chocolate Toffee Cookies.  Mmmm, they sounded delicious!  But, as I read through the recipe, I realized I didn't have all of the ingredients.  I ended up creating these German Chocolate Cake Cookies, chock full of sweet German Chocolate, coconut and toasted pecans.

They were a hit!






German Chocolate Cake Cookies


  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup shortening
  • 1/2 plus 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
  • 1 ounce German chocolate, melted
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 to 1 cup chopped German chocolate
  • 1 cup chopped toasted pecans
  • 1 cup toasted coconut

In a mixing bowl, cream butter, shortening, and sugars.  Beat in chocolate.  Add egg and vanilla, beating well.  Add flour, baking soda, and salt, and gradually beat into the creamed mixture.  Stir in chopped chocolate, pecans and coconut.  Drop by tablespoonfuls two inches apart on silpat lined baking sheet or a greased baking sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees F. for 12 to 15 minutes.  Remove to wire racks to cool.

Makes about 2 dozen cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment