Aug 30, 2013

Quick and Easy Veggie Soup

I might have mentioned this in earlier posts, but I am trying to get healthier - both in weight and overall health.  Doesn't getting healthier seem like a constant goal?  Or at least it is for me.

One of the ways I've been trying to get healthier has been by eating more vegetables.  I've found I enjoy eating most vegetables more when they are slightly cooked - a nice balance of not mushy and not totally raw.

Something my sister Sarah and I used to do for lunch when we were younger was make a simple vegetable soup in chicken broth.  I have started making this type of soup again, just using whatever I have around.  Here's the soup I made for lunch this time.  It was pretty tasty.  Very carrot-y, but I was in the mood for carrots.





Quick Vegetable Soup

  • Some chicken stock, about 1 1/2 cups (use low sodium if possible)
  • dash soy sauce (to taste)
  • some grinds of fresh pepper
  • pinch of salt to taste (if desired)
  • 1  clove garlic, minced (or garlic powder to taste)
  • fresh herbs to taste, minced (I like parsley, basil and thyme)
  • Assorted veggies: for this batch, I used onions, carrots, celery, red, yellow and orange sweet peppers
Put all ingredients together and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until vegetables are as cooked as much or as little as you like them.  I like mine crisp-cooked (or al dente)  Enjoy for a quick, healthy lunch or supper!

No comments:

Post a Comment