Feb 20, 2014

Blueberry Muffins

I had a little blip of cream cheese leftover from using it on bagels the other day, and wondered, hmmm.... what can I do with it?

This is kind of a long background story, but; I had wanted to try a new cornbread recipe that had a bit of cream cheese in it.  So I got the batter mostly mixed up, and went to grab my cornmeal.  To my dismay, I was out of cornmeal (I guess I finished it off making pizza's last fall and never replaced it).

What to do now?  I decided to use whole kernel corn in the batter instead, however, Charlie said that didn't sound very appealing.  He went on to add, how about just make some blueberry muffins?  I thought that over and decided it was a much better idea!

So, here are these cornbread-turned blueberry muffins.  They actually turned out great, not too sweet with a delightfully tender crumb.  I hope you enjoy them!







Blueberry Muffins


  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1 - 2 cups frozen blueberries
Topping:
  • 1/4 cup chilled butter
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup flour

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Beat butter, cream cheese and sugar until softened.  Add eggs and vanilla and mix well.  Add flour, baking powder, salt, buttermilk and frozen blueberries, stir just until combined.  Place in muffin in that has either been greased or has muffin papers in it.  I like to use a large cookie scoop to easily fill my muffin tins - one thing to note; these muffins didn't rise a lot so next time I would use a heaping large cookie scoop.   For topping, either pulse in food processor or cut with pastry cutter; butter, sugar and flour.  Sprinkle on top of muffins.  Bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. 

No comments:

Post a Comment