Mar 26, 2014

Flavored Water - or Agua Fresca

I am so excited to share with you my newest thing - naturally flavored water!  It is so delicious and has an added bonus of really making me want to drink water - a must when you are expecting!

About a month ago, I started keeping a jar of water in the refrigerator with one or two lemon slices in it.  That progressed to experimenting with other fruits.  Next, I want to experiment with mixing fruits and herbs.




As I was photographing these flavored water's, Charlie came by and asked me, "Did you know this is how they flavor water in Mexico... it is called agua fresca."  I had no idea, but I was off on a wonderful research trail! 

I learned that in Mexico, fruits, cereals, flowers and seeds are blended with sugar and water to create delicious beverages.  I don't add sugar to my flavored waters, but I am very interested in using flowers, cereals and seeds in addition to fruits to make flavored water.  I will let you know as I experiment further.

Today, I'd like to share some of the fruit ideas that I've recently tried for flavoring water.  But, you don't have to do what I've done!  Honestly, you can combine most fruits and herbs according to your favorite flavors and what you have on hand in your fridge.








Flavored Waters


  1. Tangerine: 3 tangerine slices in 1 pint water
  2. Strawberry: 3 or 4 sliced strawberries in 1 pint water
  3. Lime: 1/2 lime, quartered in 1 pint water
  4. Strawberry Lemonade: 2 lemon slices with 3 strawberries in 1 pint water
  5. Lemon: 4 lemon slices in 1 pint water
The possibilities are endless!  In the future months, I am excited to share new flavors of water that I will experiment with.

How do you make your flavored water? 

No comments:

Post a Comment