Mar 1, 2014

Silver Dollar Sourdough Pancakes

Do you remember recently when I posted on the care and feeding of sourdough, and in that post I shared memories of my grandpa's silver dollar sourdough pancakes?  I made the pancakes for breakfast this morning, and wanted to share the recipe with you.

My family always said that even though these pancakes look dainty, they are a real "stick to your ribs breakfast."  After the last several years of trying to duplicate Grandpa's recipe (that he never wrote down), I had a taste testing with my family.  They pronounced these pancakes had just as much "stick to your rib-ness" as Grandpa's, but tasted a wee bit better.  

The real test came when a half a pancake somehow got stuck in my one-year-old-niece's clothes - we found it after the shirt had gone through the washer and the pancake looked as good as new! 


One of the wonderful things about these pancakes are that you can eat a whole stack (or two). 




They are delicious with just a drizzle of maple syrup. 









I must admit that I enjoyed two stacks of these little beauties this morning.  For my second stack, I topped the pancakes with my homemade cherry cardamom jam. 




Delicious!


 

Silver Dollar Sourdough Pancakes



  • 1 cup sourdough starter
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 egg
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • ¼ cup melted butter
  • 1 TB sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • ¼  tsp baking soda
  • ¼ cup buttermilk (or enough until you get a good consistency)


The night before, mix the 1 cup sourdough starter with the 1 cup flour and 1 cup milk.  Cover and let sit for 8-12 hours, depending on how warm your kitchen is and how active your culture is.

In the morning, start heating up your griddle or pan until it is fairly hot (I set my griddle to about 300 degrees F).  To your bowl of sourdough add: the egg, salt, melted butter, sugar, vanilla, baking soda and buttermilk.  Blend together until fairly smooth - but try not to over mix.  Add a bit more buttermilk if you need to - you want this batter to be fairly thin.

Pour batter by about a tablespoon-sized amount onto the griddle.  You can either use an actual tablespoon or pour a bunch of batter in a 2-cup measurer and pour out little dollops.  The pancakes should cook quickly - look for bubbles on the surface.  Flip and cook the other side.  I like to serve these pancakes stacked up with maple syrup, fruit syrup, butter and powdered sugar, any fruit jams, ect...

No comments:

Post a Comment