Mar 7, 2014

Pecan Pie

I believe I can safely say that Charlie's 'most favorite' pie is pecan pie.  Hence, I have been working on developing the "perfect pecan pie" recipe for years.  After this last Thanksgiving, I believe I am there! 

This pecan pie had that wonderful toasted-pecan-nuttiness, was sticky but not too sweet, with a buttery, flaky crust to hold it all in.








Pecan Pie

  • 1 raw 9 inch pie crust, in pie plate 
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup light corn syrup
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon salt  
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 cup salted butter, melted
  • 2 cups toasted chopped pecans (plus extras halves to line the top, if you want a pretty design on top)

Heat oven to 325 degrees F.  In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, melted butter, corn syrup, vanilla, and salt; add eggs and whisk until smooth.  Stir in chopped pecans, then pour filling into the prepared pie crust. If desired, line the top of the filling with extra pecans - I really think this adds a beautiful, elegant touch to your pie. 

Place a pie shield or strips of tin foil around the edge of your pan.  Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until the filling is set (I check "set" by inserting a butter knife in the center of the pie, and if there isn't too much gooeyness clinging to the knife, I call it done).  Once the filling is set, remove the pie and let cool completely on cooling rack, at least 3 to 4 hours, before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment